Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Observation

Today I observed the first grade for the third time. I really am starting to get used to the schedule and the students. I remember being so afraid to start observing in the classroom and now I wish I could go everyday. The students are so enthusiastic about learning and about me helping them. It saddens me though that so many come from tough backgrounds. I've been able to work with one students whose disability has yet to be determined. He is 6 years old and has never seen a pediatrician before. He was supposed to be evaluated over the summer but his parents weren't able to bring him. The appointment is now scheduled for January. Although it is difficult to distinguish what he is trying to say, I love working with him. When he grasps a concept it is hard for me not to jump for joy with him. He is such a great child, I wish it were January already so that the doctors could figure out what is wrong and that the teachers will know how to approach his learning better. But working with him has led me to figuring out that when I go to grad school I want to get my masters in Special Education. Who would have thought 3 days in the first grade would help me figure out a major part of my future?

1 comment:

  1. Aw that's so sad! I want to do my masters in Special Education also because I would love to help children like this little boy. It is heartbreaking that he has not been able to get the help he needed :(

    ReplyDelete